Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Fulfillment by Amazon part 2

In the first post I explained how the process worked and all which I thought it was going well.  I spoke of an item I sent which they marked as oversize which increased the feesm thus increasing the price dramatically.  I was not happy about it but I didnt want to return them back to me since I already paid to send it to them so I figured Id wait it out.  After they all sold I would not use FBA for that particular item anymore.

To my surprise they sold even at the higher price. Then here is the kicker - a buyer returns an item saying its not as described! Im like what? Ive sold dozens and no one has ever said that. So now Im annoyed but whatever. The item is return by the customer and the customer was refunded, Im not involved with shipping costs so I cant see that. I, as a seller, was refunded only the commission fees charged by Amazon. All the FBA fees are not refunded at all. So now I am out all this money.  To top it off the item is returned and Amazon marked it damaged! Seriously? I contacted Amazon and they will be returning that particular item within 14 days or so, I asked about the damaged and they couldnt tell me what it meant, it could be anything. Original Packaging could me missing, dirty or really damaged. If this item is broken in anyway I am out the cost now.  So the item sold to the customer and returned, which put the whole transaction in the 'hole' you know 'in the negative'  -  if Amazon sold the item sold again it would have made everything 'even' but nows its being returned to me until I can assess the 'damage' to the item.  Still in the 'hole'.

I dont think I will be using FBA again.  I sent some toys but they can keep them there. They are in boxes and I really dont want them here.  I hope they sell soon.  I think I wasted more money trying to use FBA then I actually made. Unless your selling items that are not oversized or items that are high priced I would not recommend it because of the fees.

Oversize was $6, plus 37 cent per pound, plus storage, per item, plus commissions.
Regular was $1, plus, 37 cents per pound, plus storage, per item, plus commissions.

If your already selling on Amazon your already paying the commissions fees.  If your planning to try FBA figure an additional  $1.85 or so per item to add, which seems like no big deal.  Make sure your item is not oversized - check the Amazon website for the measurements to be sure. My item was 'oversized' because one side was 14.3 inches, that .3 shot it over. Didnt matter that it was a bag that I shipped to them folded and could be sent to a buyer folded too. It was measured flat. And how the item gained .3 inches it beyond me!  Argh so frustrated by it. Yes many people have success with it, but you need to fall within the measurements and weights,  and have a decent price to justify the additional costs.

No comments: