Monday, March 5, 2012

iPhone 4 issue no one can hear me talk, what happened?

So I may be been that most resistant to a smart phone, I refused them cause I didnt want to be 'connected' to the internet like that.  Last August I finally gave in and we all got them as a family, which means out bill shot up by $120 a month!  Data plans are not cheap and they no longer offered the unlimited plan.  So this was the cheapest plan $30 a month for 4 people!  Ugh sounds high.

Anyway, I was the only one to get an iPhone, everyone else got Droids.  So I am a dedicated APPLE person at heart!

So last week for no reason at all no one could hear me speak?  I was just on the phone the night before having a conversation with my friend with no issue. The very next day Im like what the heck is wrong with everyone, they call me and dont talk!  I was getting really annoyed.  After a few calls I started to think maybe it was me?  But I have an iPhone! They are like the best of the best, lol.  Well image my surprise when after some 'tests' we find out its my phone.  So no one could hear me talk which means the microphone was shot!  Speak phone worked, I could hear the sounds the phone normally makes, but when talking tom does not hear you, somethings up.

So I connected my phone to my itunes on my MAC of course, sync everything, nothing changes. I rebooted the phone, nothing. Ok Im getting concerned.  So the next day I head to Verizon.

While at Verizon I tell them whats going on, they instantly say that this is an ongoing problem. No check on my insurance or my phone contract nothing. The person I spoke with says that they are just going to replace my phone with a 'certified like new' phone.  Im like what the heck is that?  Im told its a phone that someone used for maybe a week or so and turned it in cause they didnt like it.  Ok so its used? No she says, its certified like new.  Isnt that the same thing?  I mean a new car is considered used once you drive it off the lot right?

So Im like what do I have to do? They could do it in the store or I could call them from my phone. Duh didnt I say no one can hear me talk?  So I said let me give it a few days to see if it fixes itself. She gives me the toll free number to call for the replacement.  Basically they would send me a phone, I would return the phone I have and reset the new replacement.

Well just like anyone else I started to do some searches on the internet about the issue I am having with my phone.  Many posts said to go directly to the Apple store.   After a few days with this issue, we finally had the opportunity to go to the Apple store.  The store is about 40 miles from where we live so its not a hop and a skip you know.  We took the trip - quickly the looked at my phone and said yes they will replace my phone.  The phone was only 6 months old! Falls under Apple warranty. HA!

So here come the questions:  What do I have to pay? Nothing. How long does it take? 10 minutes. Will it be used or new?  New.  When can I do it?  Right now.  WELL ALRIGHT!

Then the tech says when did you last back up your phone? Im like uh I dunno?  She was a real sweetheart, tells me, take it home and back it up so I dont loose anything.  When we replace your phone you can go back home and restore the new phone with the same info it would be exactly the same.   Well how excited I was!  We went back home, the back up took all of 5 minutes and I was like did it do it?  Yea!  We planned another trip down the next day, we included other stops along the way lol.

I made my appointment on my phone on the way do, wait time is a little crazy on a saturday. Still they were a little behind but the wait was not long.  I happen to get the same technician as the day before.  Not that she remembered me all that well but after a bit she seemed to.  She takes my phone does some stuff, comes back out with a new phone right out of the box, reprograms it, and done! Takes what 10 minutes?  Holy crap!

Now I am really excited. Upon walking out the store I 'tested' it again, I called a few people. Now I cant hear them! Im like really?  I walked back inside, tell the same tech and she removes the plastic film on the phone... what a dope! I gotta say the phone works great and didnt cost me a thing. I love Apple.

So while I was there I asked about Apple Care, if you have ever owned an Apple product this is their warranty program.  I have always gotten Apple Care for each product I owned except an iPod Touch I purchased via BestBuy a few years ago and this iPhone.  They tell me it would cost $69 to extend it for a year of coverage, so basically till the end of my wireless contract.  Verizon got me paying $12 a month for coverage. If I misplaced my phone I would have to pay Verizon a deductible of what $170 to get another used phone?  Ok granted Apple Care does not pay for a lost phone, but its better coverage then what Verizon is offering.  I am also thinking that $12 a month adds up to more than the coverage offered by Apple. I personally have never lost a phone but I bet I could buy a used phone for cheaper then what Im paying Verizon.

Things to ponder.

No comments: