Thursday, May 3, 2012

Why do we use the USPS to deliver packages.

Many people always question the use of USPS for delivery.  I dont understand why they are thought of as such a horrible service.  I use the USPS for a number of reasons.

1. They are the least expensive - where can you send a package for under $3?  Most of my packages are under a pound. UPS rounds up to the nearest pound they dont care about ounces so if I used them all my packages would be rated at a pound.  Why would I pay over $4 to ship something that weighs an ounce? Why would a customer spend over $4 to receive a package that was small and lightweight? Its excessive. UPS also charges a weekly fee to use their service even if you do not ship packages at all that week.

2. The USPS is run by the government - ok that doesn't say much but its not a privately owned company.  This should mean something right?

3. They already deliver mail to you home, the carrier knows where you are. Not some UPS driver that cant find your home. The package arrives in your mailbox!  Not in your grass, or your neighbors house, or your backdoor giving it an opportunity to be taken.  If the package does not fit into your mailbox they leave you a note to pick it up at the post office or make other arraignments.  They dont charge you for this service.

4. Ok yes I have seen the shows on TV and UPS has a very intricate way of tracking. The USPS does not have tracking but delivery confirmation service. I constantly tell buyers delivery confirmation is not tracking.  Things have come a long way where the USPS is now scanning DC numbers frequently. This acts like tracking but its not.  With multiple scans you can see when your package is taken to the post office because they are required to scan packages, they also scan along the way now so you can see when its in the next major hub, when it arrives at your hub and when its out for delivery.

5. ETA delivery times suck.  Let me first say nothing is perfect. All carriers lose packages!  Ive shipped thousands of packages and while I cant say anything about international packages, I know in the US approximately how long it will take to receive a package.  But even that is a guess. Ive shipped packages to Hawaii from NY in 4 days and Ive seen packages headed upstate take over a week!  Due to our location all our Priority Mail packages must go to NJ first adding an additional day to delivery.

6. Im so confident with the USPS I took a chance. I had a customer order an item on Thursday and pay for overnight delivery. They were just about an hour away from my location.  UPS would have charged me over $60 for UPS RED label - which guarantees next day delivery. They buyer didnt pay me that much. I could have sent it Express Mail via the USPS but that would have cost about $18. Still kind of guaranteed.  I told the buyer I was sending this out first class mail and I know they would get it on Friday, Saturday at the latest.  You know that package arrived on Friday! I refund the overpayment from the buyer and she was happy.

Lets hear it for the USPS!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I paid for shipping 45 dollars and then usps gives my package to Canada post whats the use !it will never get here on time or in one piece you would think if you pay one carrier it should stay with that carrier !