Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Attending a business expo for retailer

Ok first I gotta say there are so many expos out there in so many categories its impossible to visit them all. Many of them are at the same time. There are also specialized expos such as the Halloween Expo, Bead Expos, Resort Expos and high end clothing and accessories expos.

While each one is different you can see how they are all the same. I started out attending Value Price expo in NYC. This show has OK quality items and lower priced items and it does show. If your in this type of business then yes you should attend this one. They also hold this event in Atlantic City.

Some of my favorite shows are the ones given by Urban Expo. They have great items and are not as overwhelming as other shows can be. Ive been to the one in Boston, Philadelphia, Orlando and Ocean City. One of these days Ill make it to Las Vegas.

The larger shows are the ones in the NY Javits Center, Atlanta and in Vegas. If you have ever been that the center in NYC you can just imagine how large they are. There are so many vendors and buyers sometimes the isles are un-passable. Sometimes I cant even walk thru it all I just leave. I have never been to Vegas but I am determined to one of these days. Vegas has ASD which is wildly popular! Vegas, NYC and Atlanta have permanent show rooms in the area as well.

The NYIGF is held in January and August. This event can take days to walk thru if you want to view everything. The only benefit to attending are the specials. Keep in mind sometimes the vendors will keep the specials for a little while after the show ends. The NY Toy fair can be very overwhelming as well. Usually I have a plan and hit the vendors I know I want to order from and bee line straight to them. Or I just walk by and collect flyers and catalogs and buy later.

Sign up for FREE magazines to get started. When you start attending these shows you will find dozens of magazines to take with you. Sign up for the FREE ones and keep the info on the vendors your interested in. This is an easy way to find products you may want to sell. Stay away from distributors as you can get better prices directly from manufactures. Once your on a mailing list you will start getting all kinds of information thru the mail or even email.

A lot of the times I register for a show I know Im not going to attend so they keep me on the mailing list. The vendors also get your information and will send you email blasts and post cards. It helps you keep them in mind for the future, you never know you may not need or want it now but you may want it later.

I keep all the catalogs, business cards and post cards in a box and I clean it out every few months keeping the ones I know I want to get in the future and toss the ones I know I will never buy from.

Watch out for sales people that rep for multiple companies they can be very convincing on selling their product. They will tell you why you need them and how their product is perfect for your store. Do your research! I hate when sales people do that because I am such a push over and its why I have items in my store I dont think I would have ever purchased if I really was able to do my research.

Each expo is different and will request various information to let you attend their expo so be prepared with your Tax ID info and business information.

Also bring plenty of business cards!

I hope my tips and ideas have helped you and good luck!

No comments: